Stress is a body’s response to changes in life. Stress can cause a vast variety of health problems. Stress is a feeling when we are under pressure. It is important to overcome stress and physiotherapists offer a number of stress management techniques through stress management programs, exercise programs, massage, muscle relaxation or general fitness advice.
CAUSES OF STRESS:
Stress is an anxiety that can cause ill effects by both physically and mentally. Some of the reasons for stress are listed below
1. Health issues:
When a patient has a chronic illness such as heart diseases, diabetes or arthritis, it may cause a stress due to pain.
2. Emotional problems:
Emotional problems such as anger, depression, grief, guilt, or low self-esteem can cause stress to the mind.
ROLE OF PHYSIOTHERAPY:
Initially, physiotherapists analyze the nature of the problem and develop strategies and treatment which are acceptable to the individual. Treatment can be given in the form of individual consultation, group relaxation programs, relaxation audio tapes or information sessions for the general public. As a part of the treatment, physiotherapists makes a close relationship with the patient to ensure a positive outcome.
Physiotherapists, who are interested in managing the stress offers a lot of relaxation techniques which include breathing techniques, progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, thought stopping, stretching, massage and general fitness advice.
BENEFITS OF PHYSIOTHERAPY:
- Physical exercises can help to overcome stress. The benefits of physiotherapy are listed below
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Decreases the level of pressure in blood.
- Improves Concentration span.
- Improves the attitude to work and leisure activity.
- Increases vitality by decreasing the tiredness.
- Improves the feeling of general well-being.
- Reduces the pain such as a headache, chronic pain syndromes and anxiety related to work.
- Decreases the dosage of psychoactive medication.