Currently, the world is facing an epidemic rise in Non-Communicable diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure. These diseases are caused in a part by the trend of rising in obesity which corresponds to the declining rate of physical activity. Walking is the only exercise which helps in reducing the obese condition.
Facts on Walking:
Walking is a mandatory exercise for all age groups. Nowadays, doctors are suggesting people, walk regularly to attain good physical and mental health. Some facts about walking are as follows
- Walking for extra 20 minutes per day regularly will burn off seven pounds of fat per year.
- Longer and moderately-paced daily walks for 40 mins at 60% maximum heart rate are best for losing weight.
- Shorter and Faster walks for 20 mins at 80% maximum heart rate are best in maintaining good heart and lungs condition.
Physical benefits of Walking:
Walking regularly can keep your body fit and healthy for a longer time. Regular brisk walking for 30 minutes per day helps in robust health and keeps you slim. It also increases the stamina of body. The other health benefits are as follows
- Increase in body metabolism
- Improves flexibility and posture
- Reduces the risk of cancers
- Helps in controlling and preventing diabetes
- Strengthen the bones and muscles
- Helps in relieving chronic back pain
Walking is also beneficial for mental health in addition to physical health. It can elevate the mood, reduces depression, and also lowers the stress levels. It also helps in improving the confidence level and self-esteem of an individual. A group walk with friends can gain good social contacts. And also, a walk in lush greenery can enhance the level of spirit and gives a fresh feel throughout the day. Some of the mental benefits are
- Improves the sleep quality
- Improves the cognitive functions
- Reduces anxiety due to some minor stress
- Increase in the size of Hippocampus and prefrontal cortex benefits the memory potentially
Research on Walking:
A recent study on 400000 people with 15 minutes brisk walk per day proves significant health benefits and also adds three years to life expectancy.
The estimated amount of calories burned (Rough estimate):
To know the number of calories burnt for walking a mile at casual walking speed (2mph), multiply your weight in pounds by 0.49, and for a brisk walk (3.5mph) multiply by 0.57.